A Visit to the University of California at Berkeley

As a student of physics when I was in second year college, visiting Berkeley had been a fantasy because one of the authors of our book University Physics was a visiting professor there. His name is Hugh D. Young.

As years passed by, my cousin got admitted to UC Berkeley but visiting there remained a fantasy. For one, the airfare to San Francisco is quite expensive.

Until one day, when I got an appointment with Professor Jeffrey Pfeffer at Stanford, I flew to San Francisco and got toured by my cousin in the Bay Area. 

One of the places we visited was UC Berkeley. There I saw the Sather Tower which resembles the Campanile di San Marco in Venice. I learned that is houses various fossils from La Brea Tar Pits. 

Me with the Sather Tower in the backdrop.

One very interesting area in the campus is the parking lot dedicated to Nobel Laureates. Unfortunately, I did not met Prof. Oliver E. Williamson in the parking lot as the sun already set. He should have left for home already.  

A signage of the parking space exclusive
for Nobel Laureates.

My cousin also pointed to me the building where the atomic bombs dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki were developed. 

The laboratory where the Atomic Bomb was invented.

Of course, I should not miss visiting the Banatao Institute, named after the Filipino Silicon Valley entrepreneur Diosdado Banatao, my ultimate idol. 

Me at the Banatao Institute. 


Comments