What we can learn from Judo?

My curiosity of Judo started when we discussed at the Asian Institute of Management (AIM) a case on Judo Economics. When I came to Seoul, I enrolled for gym at YMCA which is a walking distance from our office located in Jongno Tower.

Whenever I go to the gym, I would pass by the area where Judo players are sparing and showing off their stunts such as tumbling in various styles and smashing the opponent to the ground. This roused my interest in Judo and thereafter I enrolled for the program. The trainers at YMCA are experts in Judo and some of my playmates are taking Judo course in college.

I also join the program because I want to challenge myself. I am not a sportsman and all the while I thought that I'm weak physically and cannot compete in sports like Judo.

At first it was very hard for me to learn the basics of Judo. In the warm up exercise, I need to do tumbling but never in my life have I done it. So now, I have no choice but to learn how to do it.

Thanks to my trainer, he patiently trained me to do tumbling and I was able to do it. I was so happy and fulfilled when I did it. In one sparing session, I was able to smash my trainer on the floor. I never thought I can do it but I did. It feels so good to do the things I haven't done before.

With my gym trainer at YMCA Seoul.

So what does this teach us? Weakness is only in the mind. If we are determined to succeed,  we can do the things that seem impossible to do. Constant practice develops one's strength and agility and little by little the stamina will improve.

Is there a weak person in sports? Not at all. For within a superficial weakness lies an idle strength that needs to be unleashed.

Comments